Mild, yet adequately flavoured, this wholesome stew is a wonderful meal to serve up on those cold and dreary days. I've used my favourite spice blend in this stew instead of whole spices, so that kids don't have to pick out the whole spices like cinnamon, cloves and cardamom while eating it. I've also used coconut milk to add another layer of flavour and texture to the stew.
1 kg chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
2 teaspoon ginger/garlic paste
1 large onion (chopped fine)
2 cups potatoes (cubed)
1 cup carrots (diced)
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1 cup tomato (chopped)
1 teaspoon tempero cheiroso (tempero cheiroso recipe)
1 can coconut milk (400ml)
1 - 2 cups water or stock
oil for frying
salt to taste
1. Marinate the chicken with the ginger/garlic paste and a teaspoon of salt. Prep the rest of your ingredients before you begin to save time while cooking.
2. Heat a couple tablespoons oil in a deep pan, and add the chopped onion to it. Saute for a few minutes.
3. Once the onion starts to change colour, add the tempero cheiroso spice mix to the pan. Saute for a few more minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan next. Mix well.
5. Add the marinated chicken to the pan, and stir fry on high heat for a couple minutes.
6. Add in the chopped carrots once the chicken starts to release it's juices.
7. Add 1/2 cup of water or stock to the pan, cover and cook for around 10 minutes on medium heat.
8. Add the potatoes next, and mix them in.
9. Add in the coconut milk as well. Cover and cook on medium heat for around 25 - 30 minutes until the potatoes soften.
10. Add the fresh or frozen peas to the stew, and stir them in. Cook for another 5 - 10 minutes before turning off the heat.
11. Uncover the pan, and let the stew thicken as the excess water evaporates.
12. Serve with chunky bread or ladle it over your favourite pasta.