|Goan Moonga Ghati|
A simple sprout and cook experiment with my daughter resulted in this variation of the classic Saraswat Goan Moong bean dish.
2 cups sprouted moong beans
1 cup grated coconut
1 onion (chopped fine)
3 green chilies (reduce quantity if cooking for kids)
3 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 inch tamarind ball (soak in water and squeeze out juice)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
6 curry leaves
salt and a pinch of sugar to taste
1. Prep your spices before you begin to save time while cooking.
2. Grind the coconut, chilies, tamarind extract and turmeric to a wet paste.
3. Heat a couple tablespoons oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds to it.
4. Once the mustard starts to sputter, add the onion and garlic to the oil.
5. Add the curry leaves at this time too.
6. Fry until the onions turn brown, then add the spice paste to the pan.
7. Fry until the spice paste dries, then add the sprouted moong beans to the mix.
8. Add a cup or two of water, cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until the beans soften. Check for salt, and add a pinch of sugar to the dish just before turning off the heat.
9. Serve hot with chapatis or pooris, or as a side dish with rice.
Post a Comment