|Dal (Red Lentil Curry)|
1 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup desiccated or fresh ground coconut
1 green chili
6 curry leaves
6 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
salt to taste
1. Boil the Dal with 3 cups water and 1 tsp salt on low heat until it's almost fully cooked. Keep aside to cool.
2. Prep your spices to save time while cooking.
3. Heat a couple tablespoons oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds once hot. Follow with the cumin seed when the mustard starts to sputter.
4. Add the curry leaves and chili next.
5. The onions follow almost immediately.
6. Once the onion starts to brown, add the ginger and garlic to the spice mix.
7. Let the ginger and garlic fry for a minute or two, then add in the desiccated coconut and the turmeric.
8. Wait until the coconut is almost dry before adding in the chopped tomatoes.
9. Fry the tomatoes for a few minutes and then add in the cooked lentils along with a cup of water.
10. Let the curry simmer for a few minutes on low heat. Serve with steamed rice and side of veggies or pickle. Enjoy!