I sourced this recipe from my childhood friend and fellow foodie Alves Fernandes blog because it looked so simple and appetizing that I had to try it. The combination of shrimp and mango is a very popular one in Goa, and is used in curries as well. I'm glad that I tried this recipe as this dish is absolutely delicious.
1 lb shrimp (clean, salt and keep aside)
3 onion (diced)
2 semi-ripe or raw mango, approximately 500 grams (sliced)
2 chilies (slit in half)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ginger/garlic paste (ginger/garlic paste recipe)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
30 - 50ml water
oil for frying
salt to taste
1. Prep your ingredients before you begin to save time while cooking.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, ginger/garlic paste, turmeric and chilies. Give it a quick stir.
3. Add the mango slices along with the shrimp and a little water. Turn the heat down low and cover the dish. Let it cook covered for 10 minutes until the shrimp start to change colour.
4. Mix all the ingredients together, cover and continue to cook on low heat for an additional 15 minutes until the shrimp and mango are fully cooked.
5. Uncover and turn up the heat so that any excess water evaporates. Turn off the heat once the Amto is relatively dry.