|Goan Mushroom and Potato Ambat|
2 cups large button mushrooms
4 medium potatoes (boiled)
1 can coconut milk
salt to taste
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
4 cloves garlic
4 green chilies
2 inch ball of tamarind (soak in hot water and extract pulp)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
8 curry leaves
2 green chilies (slit)
1/8 teaspoon (1 pinch) Hing (Asafoetida)
1. Prep your ingredients before you begin to save time while cooking.
2. Grind the masala ingredients to a fine paste.
3. Cut the mushrooms in quarters and squeeze the potatoes into rough chunks.
4. Combine the mushroom and potatoes in a pot.
5. Add the coconut milk and ground masala to the pot and turn on low to medium heat.
6. Heat 2 - 3 teaspoons of oil in a separate pot, and add the mustard seeds to it, along with the curry leaves and chilies. When almost completely fried, turn off the heat and add the hing to the seasoning mix. Keep aside.
7. When the curry comes to a boil, and the mushrooms are almost cooked, add the seasoning mix to the pot. Stir and cover the pot. Turn off the heat at this time.
8. Serve hot with steamed rice and a side of your favourite pickle.