|Goan Fish Curry|
2 cans sardines (500 - 600gms total weight)
2 green chilies (slit)
6 kokum (bindi solam)
1 small ball of tamarind (soak in a little hot water and squeeze out pulp)
salt to taste
Ingredients for Masala:
10 kashmiri chilies
1 cup grated coconut
1 tablespoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
5 garlic cloves
1. Prep your spices before you begin to save time while cooking.
2. Drain the oil from the can, and carefully remove the fish to a plate. Since the sardines are already fully cooked, they will break apart if handled roughly.
3. Grind the ingredients for masala into a smooth paste.
4. Saute the onions in a pot until they are translucent and start turning brown.
5. Once the onions are ready, add the ground masala paste to the onions and fry for a few minutes.
6. Next, add a couple cups of water and bring to a rolling boil.
7. Add the green chiles, kokum and tamarind pulp to the curry. Let the curry boil for a few more minutes.
8. Lower the heat, and add the fish to the curry. Cover and let it cook for around 5 minutes. Taste for salt and add if necessary (around 1 teaspoon).
Enjoy on steamed rice, or with bread!
Post a Comment