|Goan Tisreo Sukhem|
2 pound clams
2 medium onions chopped fine
2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
6 cloves garlic
4 green chilies chopped fine
1 cup desiccated coconut
pinch or two of sugar
salt to taste
1. Prep your spices before you begin to save time.
2. Thoroughly scrub and wash the clams using a stiff kitchen brush. Put them in the freezer for an hour or so and then let them rest for a few minutes. It will make it easier to open them.
3. Once you get them open, move the meat over to one 1/2 of the shell and discard the other half.
4. Grind the dry spices along with the garlic to a fine consistency. Add the desiccated coconut and grind just enough to mix well. You want to end up with the coconut still slightly coarse.
5. Heat some oil in a pan and add the onion and chilies to it.
6. Next add the ground mixture to the pan and fry for around 30 seconds.
7. Add the clams to the pan and gently incorporate the spice mix and the clams. Do not over stir or stir too often as this will cause the clam meat to separate from the shell.
8. Cook for around 10 minutes or until done. Add a pinch or two of sugar a minute or so before turning off the heat. Give the dish one final stir, garnish with fresh cilantro and you're done!
Serve hot as an accompaniment with your meal or you could choose to have the clams with bread as a light meal.