|Goan Prawn Balchao|
Ingredients for the Masala paste:
25 dry red chilies
1 tablespoon ginger/garlic paste
1 tablespoon cumin
2 inch cinnamon
2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
1 cup vinegar
Ingredients for the Balchao:
1 kilogram shrimp (90 - 130 per pound size)
2 onion (chopped fine)
10 curry leaves
2 tablespoon ginger/garlic paste
300 ml oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1. Grind the masala paste ingredients in vinegar. My sister had just given me a bottle of Goa Toddy Vinegar that came in quite handy in this case. :)
2. The masala should be ground to a fine paste, as pictured above. Cover and keep aside.
3. Peel, wash and lightly fry the shrimp, then cut the larger ones into smaller pieces. Cover and keep aside.
4. Prep your spices before you begin to save time.
5. Heat all the oil in a pot, and add the onion to it. Cook on medium to low heat until the onions turn translucent. This could take a while. Do not rush this process. Once done, add the ginger/garlic paste and the curry leaves to the onions.
6. Next, add in the spice paste and cook for a few minutes, still on medium to low heat.
7. Add in the sugar and salt, and give it a quick stir.
8. Add the chopped shrimp next and mix well.
9. Cook for 10 or so minutes on medium heat, turn off and let it cool.
10. Let the Balchao cure for a few days before consumption.