|Goan Pork Vindalho|
1.5 kilogram pork
30 red chilies
1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 teaspoon mustard
1.5 teaspoon turmeric
5" ginger (3" for masala and 2" for curry)
25 garlic cloves (15 for masala and 10 for curry)
1.5 cup vinegar
1 cube chicken or beef stock
1. In 1.5 cup of vinegar, grind 30 red chilies, 1.5 tsp cumin seeds, 3 tsp mustard, 1.5 tsp turmeric, 6 cardamom, 3" cinnamon, 15 cloves, 3" ginger and 15 cloves garlic.
2. Cut 1.5kg Pork into 1" cubes and wash in a light vinegar mix. 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.
3. Mix the ground vinegar and spice with the meat and let marinate overnight.
4. After an overnight or longer marination process, we're ready to continue with the Vindalho recipe. Thinly slice or chop two onions, 10 cloves of garlic and approximately 2 inches of ginger.
5. Sauté the onions, ginger and garlic until the onions turn brown.
6. Add a cube of Chicken or Beef stock for added flavour once the onions soften.
7. Once the onions start to change colour, we're ready to add the meat to the pot. Remember to turn the heat down to low!
8. Cover the pot and cook on low heat until the meat is tender, approximately an hour or so. Stir occasionally and add salt to taste.
9. Final taste test and will be ready for consumption in 3 days.. minimum!!
I am dying to try this recipe, but need to know if I can use chicken instead of pork. Would I have to make any adjustments with the spices if I use chicken? Thank you!ReplyDelete
You could use chicken for sure. I'd probably just back off a bit on the chilies if I were you, but other than that not much else requires to be changed.Delete